Sunday, September 9, 2007

Freshman Week 1979 and Graduation 1983

I so recall arriving at Canady E44, where I was the last to arrive. My five roommates, Paul Isaacs, David Rosenberg, Jeff Ulin, Jim Star and Sam Medalie were already in the room. All of the parents seemed to be in the suite when I arrived. I'm not sure why, but I got the sense they were expecting that someone different would round out this 6-man suite -- not the black, southern, francophile, boarding school kid that I was. We, the roommates joked about that all year. I arrived that day wearing L.L. Bean Blucher Moccasins with no socks, a navy wool blazer with brass butttons, jeans and a tattered Brooks Brothers pin-striped shir. I arrived without my parents and brought with me only a large L.L. Bean duffle bag, a squash racket and my viola. What a ridiculous figure!

Those early days were amazing in terms of social stimulation, Meeting your roommate's friend from FOP or from their high school or their cousin's rooomate etc. etc. At some point on the first day, I went to visit Saskia Bailey, a classmate of mine from Exeter, and I met her rooomates Claire Anderson, Eve Troutt and Debbie Alvarez. Eve and I have been very close pals ever since. One of our great memories of that day was Jano Lieber and I lip synching to Suffrage City in her room -- a performance that will never be lived down.

I also recall lining outside Memorial Chapel on the day of commencement -- I recall seeing Cyrus, Susan and a bunch of my other friends who were just behind where I was in the line. I remember thinking, I have not yet spend enough time with them. Another reason to look forward to June!

4 comments:

Cyrus Patell said...

Wish I could have seen that performance of "Suffragette City"! Maybe a reprise in June?

I still remember a different performance of that song quite vividly: being on stage at the Freshman Union with my band, Hand-to-Mouth, and having Stefan Pinter, in full Bowie-esque make-up join us for a rendition. In front of about 10 people, most of whom were staffers from the Independent. It was supposed to be a benefit for the Indy, but I think most of those who might have been tempted to attend opted instead for a party at Lowell House that had kegs. It took years for me to be able to remember that night without being mortified! Not because of the performance (Stefan was quite good as I remember it), but because of the overreach in thinking we could halfway fill the Union WITHOUT having any beer!

Perhaps at some point we should regale each other with tales of college moments that still make us cringe.

Bryan Simmons said...

I like the idea of the moments that make us cringe. I'm thinking...

Unknown said...

Another idea ... slang expressions that we used to use but have since outgrown.

Anonymous said...

Мы ждем тебя на сайте про вкусных и полезных раках!